with gallery: Saline football wins 49-14 over Ypsilanti and more Friday football results
- Images from Michigan softball's eighth inning Super Regional win over Louisiana Lafayette
- Skyline girls soccer goes from inception to league title in five years
- Skyline wins first SEC Red girls soccer title with 1-0 win over Huron
- Rolling Hills Water Park to open for Memorial Day weekend with $4.5M in upgrades
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_HS Football Ypsilanti Saline/cache/08312012_SPT_HS_Football_Ypsilanti_Saline_DJB_01_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_HS Football Ypsilanti Saline/cache/08312012_SPT_HS_Football_Ypsilanti_Saline_DJB_03_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_HS Football Ypsilanti Saline/cache/08312012_SPT_HS_Football_Ypsilanti_Saline_DJB_02_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_HS Football Ypsilanti Saline/cache/08312012_SPT_HS_Football_Ypsilanti_Saline_DJB_05_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_HS Football Ypsilanti Saline/cache/08312012_SPT_HS_Football_Ypsilanti_Saline_DJB_06_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_HS Football Ypsilanti Saline/cache/08312012_SPT_HS_Football_Ypsilanti_Saline_DJB_07_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_HS Football Ypsilanti Saline/cache/08312012_SPT_HS_Football_Ypsilanti_Saline_DJB_09_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_HS Football Ypsilanti Saline/cache/08312012_SPT_HS_Football_Ypsilanti_Saline_DJB_04_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_HS Football Ypsilanti Saline/cache/08312012_SPT_HS_Football_Ypsilanti_Saline_DJB_10_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/_HS Football Ypsilanti Saline/cache/08312012_SPT_HS_Football_Ypsilanti_Saline_DJB_08_fullsize.JPG
AnnArbor.com Washtenaw County Scoreboard:
Saline (2-0) turned 35 first-half points into its second straight win to open the season beating winless Ypsilanti 49-14.
Hornets senior quarterback Tyler Palka threw touchdown passes of 17 and 18 yards to Joey Zakrajsek in the first quarter to help Saline to a 21-0 lead.
Saline's Griffin Wooley opened the scoring on a 1-yard run and also ended the scoring in the fourth on a 2-yard dive.
Robert Kanitz and Arthur Dukes each rushed for more than 100 yards. Dukes finished with 106, Kanitz with 116, to lead Milan (2-0, 1-0 Huron League) to a 38-7 road victory over Huron League rival Monroe Jefferson (0-2, 0-1 Huron League) . Quarterback Justin Aceves added 92 yards on 13 attempts, as well as three passing touchdowns in the victory.
The Milan offense got on the board in the first quarter after a 10-yard run by Aceves. Milan added 12 points in the second quarter on touchdown receptions by Lawrence Williams and Gage Smith.
Chelsea lost to East Lansing 27-0 on Thursday night, marking the first time since 1997 the Bulldogs have been shutout and just the second times since 1998 they've started a season 0-2.
Defense reigned supreme in the first half of this matchup between the East Lansing Trojans (2-0) and the Chelsea Bulldogs, with neither team finding the scoreboard in the first quarter.
East Lansing’s defensive line turned in an outstanding performance. Early in the game this unit forced a turnover inside their own five yard line, stopping Chelsea (0-2) from getting onto the board and setting a tone for the rest of the game. Routinely, Chelsea ball carriers were stopped for no gain or even lost yards, and Bulldog quarterbacks often found themselves under pressure in the pocket.
Chelsea head coach Brad Bush said this loss came down to mistakes in ball security by the Chelsea offense and losing the battle in the trenches.
Berkley Edwards had just 44 yards on 17 carries for Chelsea and Logan Brown was 9-of-19 and threw for 72 yards.
Backup quarterback Mason Sarosi threw was 9-of-18 for 150 yards and Ashton Hundley led Father Gabriel Richard with 14 carries for 74 yards as the Fighting Irish (2-0) beat Whitmore Lake 24-8 on Thursday.
Dylan St. Charles was 11-of-21 passing with 161 yards and a touchdown in a losing effort for Whitmore Lake (0-2).
St. Charles connected with Josh Redlinger in the third quarter for a touchdown, but it wasn't enough. Redlinger finished with three catches for 32 yards. He was one of three Whitmore Lake receivers with at least three receptions.
Sam Panicacci caught five passes for 58 yards. Jacob Zagor had a team-high 64 receiving yards on four receptions.
Jim Kurasz ran for 142 yards and a touchdown, while Nick Cozart added two more running scores as Manchester cruised to a 38-6 win over Napoleon to open up Cascades Conference play.
The Flying Ducthmen (1-1, 1-0 Cascades) took a 24-0 lead into halftime over the Pirates (0-2, 0-1 Cascades) behind a 17-point second quarter highlighted by Austin Wilson's 43-yard interception return for a touchdown with 19 seconds left in the half.
Despite 264 yards passing from freshman quarterback Marquis Smith, Willow Run fell to Highland Park, 20-13 in the two teams' Michigan Metro Athletic Conference opener.
Smith connected with receiver Amadou Cisse for touchdowns of 32 and 52 yards. Smith also ran for 51 yards. Cisse finished with 121 yards receiving on four catches.
The Flyers led 14-13 entering the fourth quarter but Highland Park (1-1, 1-0 MMAC) was able to take the lead in the final frame and hold off Willow Run (1-1, 0-1 MMAC).