Grease fire causes $8,000 in damage to apartment
A grease fire early Monday morning destroyed a kitchen in an Ypsilanti apartment, according to fire officials.
Capt. Dan Cain of the Ypsilanti Fire Department said firefighters were called 913 Washtenaw Ave. at 1 a.m. Monday.
"It started on the stove and extended out into the kitchen and cabinets," Cain said. "(We) tore out the kitchen cabinets and smoke damage was throughout the apartment... They couldn't stay there."
The fire caused nearly $8,000 in damages, he said.
Cain said the apartment tenants found temporary living arrangements. Information regarding the number of individuals living in the apartment was not immediately available.