Garage fire destroys 2 cars, causes $105K in damage
About $105,000 in damage was done when a fire destroyed two cars inside of a detached garage Monday morning in Ypsilanti Township, a fire official said.
Lt. Tom Stachlewitz of the Ypsilanti Township Fire Department said firefighters were dispatched at 9:39 a.m. to the 6000 block of Whittaker Road near Textile Road.
Firefighters were on the scene for two hours.
Stachlewitz said $15,000 in damage was done to the garage and $90,000 in content was lost. One of the vehicles was an older Corvette model, but Stachlewitz wasn't sure what the make of the other car was.
Fire officials believe the fire started due to some electrical issues within the Corvette.
"(The fire) had something to do with the electrical wiring in the Corvette," he said. "The owner was in the process of charging the battery."
"The occupant was inside of his house and started smelling smoke," Stachlewitz said. "He thought it was his neighbor and noticed smoke coming from the roof area. He was the one that called the fire in and at that point the Corvette was already fully involved."