Woman injured in grass fire that burned 40 to 50 acres near Manchester
Jeffrey Smith | AnnArbor.com
One woman was injured in a massive grass fire that left between 40 to 50 acres in Manchester Township black and smoldering Tuesday afternoon.
Two or three sheds also were destroyed in the fire, which caused just less than an estimated $10,000 worth of damage, Manchester fire Chief Bill Scully said.
Huron Valley Ambulance spokeswoman Joyce Williams said medical personnel treated a woman who had attempted to fight the fire. The woman was the only person injured.
Fire crews from numerous departments were dispatched to Sharon Hollow and Herman roads at 2:47 p.m., according to Manchester Township Fire Department officials.
The fire was started from someone burning trash at a nearby residence, Scully said.
"It got away from them," he said.
The fire threatened homes in the area. It took firefighters from Columbia Township, Clinton Township, Sand Lake Township, Napoleon Township, Chelsea and Manchester about two hours to beat back the blaze, but it was under control before it could cause any major damages to the homes.
Scully described the land affected as vacant, open fields between the homes. There were no crops involved, he said.
Firefighters were still on the scene around 6 p.m. Tuesday making sure the fire didn't re-ignite.