This week's 5 most popular news stories on AnnArbor.com: April 8-13
A mix of stories made the list of this week's top 5 most popular news stories on AnnArbor.com. Readers took interest in University of Michigan's mention on the "Colbert Report," as well as word of store openings. Additionally, the stories of a barn burning received attention as the community paused and felt for the family's great loss.
1. WITH VIDEO: University of Michigan featured on Colbert Report as a school 'doing it right': The University of Michigan was highlighted as an example of a college "doing it right" and "challenging" undergraduates during Tuesday's episode of Comedy Central's 'Colbert Report.'
2. Barn fire west of Ann Arbor kills more than 300 animals, including horse, steer, rabbits and chicks: The burning of a family barn killed 300 animals, including rabbits, chicks, a horse and a steer, and reduced the barn and everything in it to a pile of rubble.
3. Fire departments battle blaze west of Ann Arbor: Multiple fire departments responded to a fire that destroyed a centennial barn west of Ann Arbor on Wednesday morning.
4. Now hiring: Costco moves up opening date and is accepting applications for Ann Arbor area store: With construction moving faster than expected at the new Costco in Pittsfield Township, the warehouse store will open nearly a month earlier than planned, the township supervisor announced Thursday.
5. Menards has a deal to build store near Ann Arbor: Menard Inc., a family owned Midwest home improvement chain, has a contract to buy property for a store near Ann Arbor.