Events will mark Memorial Day 2013 in Ann Arbor / Ypsilanti area
Following is a roundup of Memorial Day-themed events in the Washtenaw County area. (To add an event, email email@example.com.)
Friday, May 24 - Monday, May 27
• Open House And Military Memorabilia Display: Items on display will include uniforms dating from WW I, medals, weapons, helmets, boots, patches and personal items one of the largest private collections in the midwest. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Free. For information, contact Milton J. Davis at 734-662-3972. At the VFW Graf-O’Hara Post 423, 3230 S. Wagner Road, Ann Arbor.
Sunday, May 26
• Arborcrest Memorial Day Observance: The annual event will feature veterans organizations, government officials, and local Boy Scout troops in a celebration to honor all veterans, POWs, and MIAs. Rain or shine. Refreshments will be served. 2 p.m. Free. Arborcrest Memorial Park, 2521 Glazier Way, Ann Arbor. 734-761-4572.
Monday, May 27
• Memorial Day Observance at the Yankee Air Museum: Annual event includes a breakfast, memorial service and blood drive. See WWII planes up close and view the exhibits for free. Breakfast 9-10:30 a.m., Memorial Day ceremony 11 a.m.-noon; blood drive 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Breakfast is $6, veterans eat free. 47884 D St., Belleville. 734-483-4030.
• Glacier Area Parade: All are welcome at the annual neighborhood Memorial Day parade sponsored by Ann Arbor's Glacier Area Homeowners Association and the Ann Arbor Breakfast Optimist Club. Parade leaves Greenbrier Park at 10 a.m., proceeds on Frederick and Middleton drives to Bardstown Trail, down to Windemere Drive and up Barrister Road to Glacier Highlands Park, where a remembrance ceremony will take place. Participation is welcome; see a2gaha.org for details.
• Thunder Rolls in Belleville: Motorcyclists will gather to ride for the Thunder Rolls in Belleville event. All riders are welcome. Gather at the Wayne County Community College Western Campus parking lot (I-94 and Haggard Road. Head north on Haggard Road). 1 p.m. $10 donation. The ride will end up at the Brown Funeral Home and Brown Family Center between 2-2:30 p.m. where there will be a memorial service. Call 734-697-5090 for more information.
• Ypsilanti parade: The Ypsilanti parade will begin at 9 a.m. The staging area is on Catherine St. It will then proceed north to Huron St., then to Cross St., River St., where it will end at Highland Cemetery. There will be ceremonies on the bridge and in the cemetery. For more information, contact Larry at the VFW, 734-879-0608.
• Milan parade: The Milan Annual Memorial Day Parade will begin at the Blue Star Memorial on Wabash Streeet for a memorial service and laying of wreaths. The parade will then commence to Marble Park Cemetery (520 West Main St.). The ceremony will continue with a message from Tom Publuski and designated speakers. The taps, 21-gun salute and a tentative fly over will bring honor where honor is due. Guests are encouraged to return to the Legion Post (44 Wabash St.) following for free hot dogs and beverages. The public is invited to join the parade, but no candy will be thrown. Festivities begin at 9 a.m.
• Dexter parade: The Dexter Memorial Parade will begin at 10 a.m. It will start at Inverness Street, proceed down Ann Arbor Street and end on Alpine Street. The Memorial Day Ceremony in Monument Park will start at the conclusion of the parade. Waving American flags and banners are encouraged.
• Saline observance: Saline will hold a Memorial Day Mile run. Elite mile begins at 9:30 a.m. Open mile begins at 9:40 a.m. Registration ends midnight, Friday, May 24. Register at www.salineonline.org $15. Start at the intersection of Michigan Avenue and Ann Arbor Street. Saline will hold its parade at 10 a.m. on Michigan Ave. in the downtown area.
• Chelsea parade: Chelsea's parade will start at 10 a.m. The route starts downtown, heads down East Middle Sreet and will end at the cemetery.