Furnace fire displaces Milan family
A family of four had no place to go after smoke and water damage made their Milan home uninhabitable Wednesday night.
The Milan Area Fire Department was dispatched to the 300 block of Wabash Street at 3:29 p.m. for a furnace that had started on fire.
Smoke was visible from the basement and first floor of a two-story, wood frame house when firefighters arrived, said Milan Fire Chief Bob Stevens.
The fire began in the furnace and extended into the floor, Steven said.
Milan firefighters brought in a hose and extinguished the furnace fire with 50 gallons of water. There were no injuries. Fire crews cleared the scene by 4:13 p.m., Stevens said.
"There is a lot of smoke and water damage," Stevens said. "There was no structural damage."
The displaced the family of four that lives in the home, which is salvageable.
The American Red Cross said three volunteers from the Washtenaw-Lenawee chapter responded and the family find a place to stay.