Excavation underway on blighted North Main houses
Excavation on six boarded-up houses along North Main Street has begun.
The project, which was approved by the Ann Arbor City Council in February, is being funded by Ann Arbor’s dangerous building fund. No state funding was granted and as of April 15, the estimated cost for project completion is $90,000.
The buildings, which are located at 626-724 N. Main St., are owned in partnership between Three Oaks Group and Avalon Housing. There are eight boarded-up homes in total, but only six were declared dangerous buildings by the city. The southernmost houses will remain.
The houses being knocked down were supposed to make way for Near North, a $15 million affordable housing project, but the project was canceled due to financial troubles.
City Administrator Steve Powers told City Council previously told AnnArbor.com demolition and restoration of the site would take nine weeks.