updated: New Dexter schools athletic director quits after 2 weeks to take another job
Editor's note: This story was updated on Thursday, Aug. 16 at 10:32 a.m. to include information from Sean Burton, executive director of support services for the district, and information previously obtained by AnnArbor.com through a Freedom of Information Act request.
Dexter High School will have an interim athletic director for the upcoming school year, after the district’s new hire quit after just two weeks.
Darren Kecskes, who was hired Aug. 1 at a salary of $50,000 to head up the district’s athletics department, left to take another job that paid more, Superintendent Mary Marshall told AnnArbor.com.
She said Dexter Community Schools staff found out about Kecskes' decision on Monday.
Chris Asadian | AnnArbor.com
According to an email from Sean Burton, executive director of support services for the district, Kecskes accepted another athletic director position elsewhere.
"Darren worked in Dexter for two weeks and was offered his new position based on an interview that took place prior to accepting the position in Dexter. During his tenure here, Darren was impressed by the people he met and the opportunities we have to build a great program," the letter stated.
Dexter girls varsity basketball coach Mike Bavineau will serve as the interim athletic director for the 2012-13 academic year. Bavineau has been with the district for a long time and has been the girls varsity basketball coach for 16 years. Marshall said he is willing to serve in this capacity. She said the district will re-evaluate in about March and consider reposting the position at that time for the following school year.
Kecskes was hired to replace former athletic director Brett Steele, who resigned in April after six months on the job because he disagreed with the district’s vision to maintain a joint athletics and community services department. Dexter Community Schools recently separated the two departments once again.
Bavineau will be the fifth person to fill the position of athletic director since the retirement of long-time AD John Robinson following the 2009-10 school year. Scott Lucas was hired to replace Robinson and was dismissed that same year. In Lucas’s letter of dismissal, dated Feb. 9, 2011, obtained by AnnArbor.com through a Freedom of Information Act request, Marshall referenced six specific incidents in which Lucas did not follow through with directives. The earliest incident was Jan. 13, 2011, five days after Lucas had sent an email to Marshall and school board president Larry Cobler stating a desire to resign following a disagreement over compensation.
Varsity wrestling coach Greg Wagner held the position on an interim basis before Steele took over.
"The challenges that are currently presented to us may seem significant when you first hear of them, however, if we all work together and focus on our student athletes, we will conquer our challenges and provide our student athletes with positive memorable experiences that they will always remember," Burton said his letter.