Chlorine leak evacuates Dexter's Wylie Elementary School
Firefighters evacuated Wylie Elementary School in Dexter Saturday after a pool pump malfunctioned, releasing too much chlorine.
People attending a swim meet at the school called to report smelling a strong odor of chlorine about 9:15 a.m., said firefighter Dave Wiseley. Firefighters evacuated about 50 to 75 people, and the swim meet was moved to the Ann Arbor Country Club, he said.
Firefighters opened doors and windows for ventilation. Four members of the Washtenaw County Hazardous Materials Team were called in to test the air, Wiseley said. Firefighters were still at the school about noon.