Dexter's Memorial Day theme is 'A Time to Honor'
Veterans will take center stage in Dexter on Monday for the village’s annual Memorial Day ceremonies, which include a special service in Monument Park at 9 a.m. to be followed by a parade down Main Street at 10 a.m. This year’s parade theme is “A Time to Honor,” and unlike previous years, those who would like to participate need to fill out an application and be pre-approved.
So, here are some of the new rules for parade participants.
- Veterans organizations and current members of the U.S. Military
- Dexter Area and Scio Fire Departments; Washtenaw County Sheriff Department
- Local community organizations conveying a sense of patriotism (as opposed to commercialism or fundraising)
- Dexter Schools organizations
- Governmental elected or appointed officials
And here are some of the restrictions:
- Campaign or political displays other than those necessary to identify the dignitary or elected official are prohibited.
- Participants approved to walk in the parade may distribute candy, gum and flyers by hand along the curb line. Flyers must be about community organizations or upcoming community events.
- No items may be thrown from vehicles, floats or wagons in the parade.
- All forms of advertising for services or merchandise, such as the distribution of business flyers or items with logo or company name are prohibited.
- Any organization with animals must have a follower to pick up dropping from their animals.
- All vehicles must be in safe, road-worthy condition and have full insurance coverage.
- Commercial vehicles are prohibited with the exception of those vehicles used to transport members of the allowed entries.
- Prohibited vehicles include: off-road vehicles, ATVs, go karts, mini-bikes, highly modified cars or trucks, motorcycles (except military or law enforcement).
Applications can be found in pdf form here: www.villageofdexter.org/memorial_day_parade.pdf. Registration approval is required to participate in the parade, and all registrations must be submitted to the village office no later than Thursday, at 3 p.m. They can be mailed to 8140 Main St., Dexter, 48130 or dropped off at the Village Office on the 2nd Floor of PNC Bank, 8123 Main St. For questions call 734-426-8303.
For more Dexter stories, visit our Dexter page.