Michigan Basketball Gameday: This one's for real, will Michigan act like the No. 5 team in America?
• Who: Slippery Rock (0-0) at No. 5 Michigan (0-0)
• Tipoff: 8:30 p.m. at the Crisler Center (Ann Arbor)
• Live coverage: Join MLive.com 30 minutes prior to tip for live updates, and follow Nick Baumgardner (@nickbaumgardner) on Twitter.
• TV: None (subscription based on MGoBlue.com)
• Radio: WWWW (102.9 FM) and MGoBlue.com
ISSUE OF THE DAY
John Beilein said Thursday that he never talks about his team's lofty ranking at this point, whether it's in practice or the locker room -- adding that at this point, being ranked No. 5 in the country really doesn't mean anything.
But whether or not Beilein has mentioned the ranking, or regardless of how much it matters, Michigan is the No. 5 team in America -- and during games like this, it needs to act that way.
This is all new territory for the Wolverines, who haven't been ranked this high since 1996.
But part of being ranked this high is understanding what a win would mean for the team across from you.
Michigan screwed around with Ferris State in this same position last year before pulling away, and had to fight until the final minutes during an early-season win against Western Illinois.
Final Four contenders put the hammer down on teams like this. And though we're nowhere near finding out if Michigan is indeed worthy of its ranking, Friday night is certainly a fine opportunity to act like it.
Are you buying what John Beilein is spinning with regard to Slippery Rock? What's your score prediction for Friday night?