Frank Clark's status with Michigan won't change after felony plea, Brady Hoke says
ANN ARBOR -- On Tuesday, Frank Clark pleaded guilty to a felony. On Wednesday, he remained an active player on the Michigan football team.
And that won't change.
"Frank Clark's status hasn't changed -- won't change," coach Brady Hoke said Wednesday during a news conference at Schembechler Hall. "(With) the judicial system, obviously, he's paying for that. He's paid a pretty heavy price with us.
"He's a teammate. He's made some bad decisions -- a bad decision -- that is not what we want. But, he is a teammate and he is part of our family."
Clark, a sophomore defensive end, pleaded guilty on Tuesday to a felony charge of second-degree home invasion. He acknowledged in Washtenaw County Trial Court that he stole a MacBook Air laptop from a floormate at Stockwell Hall.
When he is sentenced Oct. 23, he faces a maximum of 15 years in prison and $3,000 fine. He will be sentenced under the Holmes Youthful Trainee Act, which allows the charge to be expunged if he successfully fulfills his probation requirements.
Clark missed one week of practice and one game for the arrest. He returned last week against Air Force and finished with four tackles.
He entered as a reserve, but was perhaps Michigan's most effective defensive lineman. He could be primed for more time, especially with weak-side end Brennen Beyer out this week with a knee injury.
No. 17 Michigan (1-1) plays UMass (0-2) at 3:30 p.m. Saturday on Big Ten Network.
Hoke declined questions about Clark's felony arrest, and has not outlined the internal punishment for his reinstatement to the team.