food & drink: Mom's mushroom soup is the best birthday present
Jessica Webster | Contributor
Over the years we've tried different variations. Replacing the cream with half-and-half reduces the fat content a bit. When gluten-intolerant family is visiting, we've omitted the flour from the recipe without horrible consequences. Or at least, the consequences weren't as horrible as they were when we made the first batch where I replaced the flour with gluten-free pancake mix since I didn't have rice flour handy. I do not under any circumstances recommend that.
Mom's Sherried Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/4 pound of mushrooms, brushed clean and sliced
1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons flour
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup sherry
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups light cream (Mom uses half-and-half)
1. SautÃ© mushrooms, onion and garlic in butter.
2. Stir in lemon juice and flour.
3. Gradually stir in chicken broth, sherry, salt and pepper.
4. Cook over low heat until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
5. Stir in cream and heat, being careful not to let the soup come to a boil, as it will separate.
Serves 6. The soup is best on the day it's made.
Do you have a birthday celebration tradition or recipe? Share it below or e-mail it to JessicaWebster@AnnArbor.com.