People & achievements in the greater Ann Arbor area, including Prudential Snyder & Company, Realtors and The Promanas Group
From new hires and promotions to industry awards, here's a roundup of achievements by businesses and individuals in the greater Ann Arbor area:
• The Ann Arbor-based real estate brokerage of Prudential Snyder & Company, Realtors recently announced the addition of Andy Watches to their team.
• The Promanas Group, based in Ann Arbor, recently acquired two manufacturing buildings as part of its commercial real estate private equity fund, PF2 LLC. The first acquisition is a 182,500-square-foot industrial building in Lake Orion, leased to Odyssey Industries. The Promanas Group also acquired a 215,000-square-foot industrial building in Macomb.
• University Bancorp/University Bank recently announced that the company had a 47 percent return on equity in the first half of 2013. Additionally, University Bank’s IDC rating agency rating is 292 out of 300, which is the best rating of any bank in the county and the fourth best rating of any bank headquartered in Michigan. University Bank is a locally-owned and locally-managed community bank primarily serving the cities of Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti.
• Washtenaw Christian Academy July 26 announced that Peter Laugen has accepted an offer to join WCA as the new head of school/high school principal. Previously, Laugen served middle school principal and later as interim superintendent for Scottsdale Christian Academy in Phoenix, Ariz.
• Martin Philbert, professor of toxicology and dean of the University of Michigan School of Public Health, has been admitted a fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry. Located in Cambridge, England, the RSC is the largest organization in Europe for advancing the chemical sciences. Designation as a fellow represents the senior category of membership and is granted to those with substantial career progression who have made an outstanding contribution to the advancement of the chemical sciences. Fellows of the RSC are entitled to use the letters "FRSC" after their names.
• Online and mobile food ordering service EatStreet has begun partnering with local restaurants in the Ann Arbor area. In Ann Arbor, Five Guys, Fleetwood Diner, Max & Erma’s, and others have already partnered with EatStreet, and many more will be added shortly. Each restaurant is listed at EatStreet.com.
• The Arthur Secunda Museum at Cleary University installed a 65-by-10-foot mural created by Arthur Secunda and Joseph Breton. Performance Creative Resources from Brighton installed the original work in the Johnson Center of Cleary University in Howell Monday, Aug. 5. The Arthur Secunda Museum at Cleary University opened on the Howell campus in the Chrysler Building in 2012. Arthur Secunda is an internationally renowned artist whose art career began in Detroit, Michigan more than 65 years ago. Cleary is a business university with campuses in Howell and Ann Arbor.
• Sperry Van Ness/Stewart Commercial Group LLC, the Ann Arbor office of Sperry Van Ness, recently announced the addition of Cody Bowlds to the firm in the position of associate advisor. Bowlds' initial focus will be in the office segment representing owners and tenants throughout Southeastern Michigan.
• Ann Arbor-based Mr. Handyman is hosting the "Honey, I Promise I'll Fix It" Facebook sweepstakes Aug. 5 through 26. Fans can win up to $1,000 worth of home repair, maintenance and improvement services from Mr. Handyman. To participate, entrants must "like" a participating Mr. Handyman Facebook page and fill out a brief entry form. For more information, visit https://www.facebook.com/MrHandyman/app_425930587451477.
• Art Van Furniture, a furniture and mattress retailer headquartered in Warren, with support from Grand Rapids-based Meijer, will provide 12,000 complimentary string back sacks filled with new crayons, pens, pencils and pocket folders for school children across the state. The string back sacks filled with school supplies can be picked up in the children's bedding departments at all 35 Art Van showrooms throughout Michigan Saturday, Aug. 17 and Sunday, Aug. 18 between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. The offer is good for one back sack per household while supplies last. The Ann Arbor Art Van is located at 425 E. Eisenhower Parkway.
Email items for People & Achievements to email@example.com. Sign up for the weekly Business Review email newsletter here.