Recipe: Zucchini alla Puttanesca
Zucchini alla Puttanesca is a great dish — hot, fast, saucy and spicy.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- several splashes of cayenne pepper sauce
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup white wine (I used Riesling)
- 1 fat 8-inch zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 8 Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
In a large skillet, heat oil, vinegar, and cayenne pepper sauce over medium heat; add garlic, onion, red pepper flakes, salt and wine; cook, stirring occasionally, until wine is just starting to boil. Add zucchini and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add olives and tomato; cook 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
This recipe was written by Mary Bilyeu and originally posted on AnnArbor.com on Sept. 7, 2011.