Recipe: Kale and Peppers in Red Wine Sauce
You'd think that a pile of vegetables on a mix of brown rice and quinoa would be a less-than-stellar meal, but you'd be wrong. Light, fragrant and richly flavored, this is a perfect nutritious dish for any time you need a bit of restoration.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 1 small orange pepper, chopped
- 6 stalks red kale, stems trimmed, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoons pesto
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 8.5-ounce packages Uncle Ben's Whole Grain Medley - Roasted Garlic flavor
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the onions and peppers for 5 minutes, until softening. Add the kale and cook for 5 more minutes. Add the salt and the red pepper flakes.
Combine the pesto and the wine; pour into the skillet and bring to a boil. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half.
Prepare rice/grain medley according to package directions, then serve the vegetables over the rice.
This recipe was written by Mary Bilyeu and originally posted on AnnArbor.com on Oct. 3, 2011.