Recipe: BLT salad
Thus salad is best at the time of year when tomatoes are at their peak flavor. It's been at least 20 years that I've had thus recipe - definitely an old favorite.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. bacon drippings
- 1/4 cup finely chopped basil leaves
- 4 slices firm white bread, torn into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tsp. salt.
- 1 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 lb. Romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces, rinsed and dried
- 1/2 lb. lean bacon, cooked until crisp, drained and crumbled
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes or equivalent, cut into bite-sized pieces
1. Prepare the dressing by combining the mayonnaise, vinegar, bacon drippings and basil in a bowl and whisk together. Let stand, covered at room temperature.
2. In a large skillet, toss the bread pieces with salt and pepper. Drizzle with the oil, tossing well and cook over moderately low heat until they are golden brown. This may also be done on a large baking sheet in a 450 degree oven,but watch that the croutons don't burn.
3. In a large bowl combine the Romaine lettuce, bacon, tomatoes and croutons. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well.
Serves 4 as a main dish.
This recipe was adapted by Marge Biancke and originally posted on AnnArbor.com on Aug. 13, 2009.