Recipe: Portabella Mushroom Burgers with Goat Cheese and Roasted Red Pepper
Even carnivores love these mushroom burgers, which are also delish stuffed with cheese. Whatever cheese you have on hand should work fine; goat cheese and blue cheese are personal favorites.
Yield: 4 burgers
Time: 35 minutes
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed and washed
- 4 artisan sandwich rolls, large enough to accommodate the mushrooms
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- Greens, such as arugula or romaine, as desired
1. Mix mayonnaise, basil and mustard together. Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Whisk olive oil and garlic in another bowl.?
2. Prepare grill to medium-high heat. Brush mushroom caps on both sides with garlic oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill mushrooms until tender and golden brown, 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm.?
3. Grill cut side of rolls, if desired. Top the bottom half of each roll with a mushroom, tomato slice and greens. Spoon some basil-mustard sauce over tomato and top with the other half of the bun.
This recipe was written by Peggy Lampman and originally posted on AnnArbor.com on Sept. 5, 2011.