Recipe: Seared Cod with Grapefruit Salad
I love seafood and grapefruit paired together in the winter months when grapefruit is so juicy, sweet and abundant.
Yield: 3-4 servings
Time: 25 minutes
- 1 large head Boston bibb lettuce, remove leaves from core, wash and spin dry
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, plus extra sprigs for garnish
- 2 grapefruits, cut into segments
- 1 1/2-2 pounds skinless, boneless cod fillets, patted dry with paper towels
1. In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Season the cod with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Place hot oil and cook until golden brown and just cooked through, approximately 4 minutes per side.
2. Meanwhile, in a bowl large enough to accommodate the lettuce and grapefruit, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, shallot and dill. Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss lettuce and grapefruit in dressing. Serve salad with cod, garnished with dill sprigs, if desired.
This recipe was written by Peggy Lampman and originally posted on AnnArbor.com on Feb. 23, 2011.