Recipe: Grilled Zucchini and Sweet Pepper Roll-Ups with Goat Cheese
The following recipe honors the zucchini, its elegant presentation restoring respect and dignity to this much maligned vegetable.
Yield: 10-14 roll-ups
Time: 45 minutes
- 2 medium-large zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick strips*
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds and membranes removed, cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 ounces spreadable goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
*For easier slicing, first cut the zucchini in half, lengthwise down the center. Then, lay the zucchini on its flat side while slicing into even strips; it will not roll around, and cutting the strips will be easier to manage.
1. On a charcoal or gas grill, clean and oil grill grates, and prepare heat to medium-high. Brush both sides of zucchini and pepper quarters with 1 tablespoon of oil. Lightly season one side with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
2. Arrange zucchini and pepper on grill. Grill 4 to 8 minutes per side or until lightly grilled and softened; peppers may take additional time to grill.
3. When grilled vegetables are cool enough to handle, arrange on a large work surface. Slice peppers into 1/4-inch strips. Place 1 teaspoon of goat cheese about 1/2-inch from one end of each zucchini strip. Top each with 1 bell pepper slice running lengthwise down zucchini strip. Roll up strip, and place seam side down on a serving platter. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
4. Drizzle with vinegar and remaining tablespoon of olive oil, sprinkle with basil and serve.
This recipe was written by Peggy Lampman and originally posted on AnnArbor.com on Sept. 15, 2011.