Recipe: Curried Lentil Soup with Tomato
Nutritious and delicious, this Curried Lentil Soup is supreme comfort food.
- 1 tablespoon ghee or butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 cup small orange lentils
- 3 cups water
- 2 toasted rice tea bags, optional
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tomato, chopped
Melt the ghee/butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the salt, curry powder, garam masala and red pepper flakes; cook for 1 minute. Add the onion and cook for 1 minute. Add the lentils, water and tea bags; cover and bring to a boil, cooking for 5 minutes until the lentils are softening. Add the coconut milk and tomato; cover and simmer for 15 minutes until lentils are tender.
This recipe was written by Mary Bilyeu and originally posted on AnnArbor.com on Sept. 14, 2011.