Recipe: Baked Eggs Florentine
I amped up the spinach in the recipe below. You could probably decrease the amount by 10 ounces if you’re not a huge fan of spinach. I also added sliced tomatoes because they're so good at this time of the year.
Yield: 8 servings (one egg serving)
Active Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 20 to 30 minutes
- 36 ounces frozen spinach
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oIl, plus extra for greasing pan
- 1 tablespoon unsalted bulter, optional
- 8 large eggs
- 8 slices tomato, optional
- 1 1/4 cups grated Parmesan
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cook spinach according to package instructions. Wring out as much water as possible and stir in olive oil and butter, if using. Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. (I enjoy a lot of pepper.)
3. Oil or butter a 9x13-inch baking dish. Pack spinach and spread over bottom of dish. With a spoon, make 8 indentations; place tomato slices into indentations, if using. Crack eggs into indentations or over tomatoes, and lightly season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Evenly divide and sprinkle parmesan over casserole.
5. Bake on middle rack of oven 20-30 minutes, or until cheese is golden and eggs are cooked to desired level of doneness.
This recipe was written by Peggy Lampman and originally posted on AnnArbor.com on Sept. 23, 2011.