Recipe: Shrimp and Chorizo Paella
This recipe is adapted from a Rocco Dispirito recipe in “Runner’s World” magazine. My only change was doubling the amount of chorizo in the recipe which, I guess, is not maintaining the chiseled waistline spirit of Runners World — but using only half of one sausage made me want to cry.
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 20 minutes
Simmer Time: 35 minutes
- 1/2-1 link chorizo sausage (raw), halved lengthwise and sliced into 1/4-inch half moons
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock, plus more if needed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 8 ounces raw, medium shrimp, shelled
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
1. Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook until the fat begins to render, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about one minute.
2. Add saffron, rice and stock. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook at a gentle simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in diced tomatoes and juices
3. In the last five minutes of cooking time, stir in shrimp and peas. Serve.
This recipe was adapted by Peggy Lampman and originally posted on AnnArbor.com on March 29, 2011.