Recipe: Chilled Cucumber Soup with Shrimp adapted from "The Barefoot Contessa Back To Basics."
As a note: I have cut the amount of salt in the original recipe in half. Make sure to taste it before serving and add more if you think it is necessary.
- 3 (7-ounce) containers Greek yogurt
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 hot house cucumbers, unpeeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 6 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (4 lemons)
- 1/2 pound cooked large shrimp, halved
- thinly slices of lemon, halved, for garnish
- fresh dill, for garnish
In a large mixing bowl, stir together the yogurt, half-and-half, cucumbers, red onions, scallions, salt, and pepper. Transfer the mixture in batches to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process until the cucumbers are coarsely puréed and then pour into another bowl. Continue processing the soup until all of it is puréed.
Fold in the dill, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, until very cold.
Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice. Serve chilled, garnished with the shrimp and lemon.
This recipe was adapted by Jessica Webster and originally posted on AnnArbor.com on Aug. 18, 2011.