Recipe: Grilled Chicken with Plum Salsa
I also love fresh peaches, in place of or in addition to the plums in this easy recipe. As well, the cumin and poblano used give the dish a southwest flavor (but are optional).
Yield: 4 servings
Time: 35 minutes
Cost: apx. $12
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 ripe plums, washed and pitted (quarter if grilling; dice if not)
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- 1-2 teaspoons lime juice, plus lime wedges for garnish
- 1-2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped poblano pepper, optional
1. Combine sugar, salt, cumin and cayenne and rub into both sides of chicken.
2. Prepare gas or charcoal grill to medium heat.
3. Grill chicken for 13 to 16 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170?), turning once. If grilling plums, quarter and grill next to the chicken until just tender, about 5-6 minutes.
4. While chicken is grilling, combine mint, onion, 1 teaspoon lime juice, 1 teaspoon brown sugar, and chopped poblano. Taste and add additional sugar and lime juice if desired. Add kosher salt to taste.
5. Serve salsa over chicken.
This recipe was written by Peggy Lampman and originally posted on AnnArbor.com on Aug. 13, 2010.