Recipe: Grilled tofu with Asian Barbecue Sauce
Try tofu — the other white "meat." I'm not a vegetarian, but this recipe, whatever its persuasion, is pretty darn good. Of course, the secret's in the marinade.
Yield: 2-3 servings
Marinating Time: 24 hours
Active Time: 15 minutes
Grill Time: 30 minutes
- 1 block (15 ounces) firm or extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, plus lime wedges (2 limes)
- 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon Chili Paste with Garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger root
1. Cut tofu into 4 half-inch-thick slices, then cut slices in half to yield 8 pieces. Drain on clean cloth or paper towels, weighted down if possible, to extract as much moisture as possible.
2. Whisk together hoisin sauce, and place in a shallow dish or resealable plastic bag. Place the tofu in the dish and spoon some of the marinade on top of the tofu. Allow the tofu to marinate at least 2 hours and up to 48, turning once or spooning more marinade over the top.
3. Prepare charcoal or gas grill to medium heat. Wipe excess marinade from tofu. Place tofu on well-oiled grill grates, and grill about 15 minutes on each side, depending on heat of fire. Serve with lime wedges.
This recipe was written by Peggy Lampman and originally posted on AnnArbor.com on Aug. 1, 2011.