Recipe: Melon Salad with Thai Basil and Ginger
This salad is perfect for cooling down, a favorite fruit salad I often make using Thai basil from my garden. I understand this minty basil varietal may be difficult to locate, but don't fret — any varietal of fresh mint is a great substitute in this recipe.
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 15 minutes
Refrigeration Time: 1-2 hours
- Zest and juice from 1 small lime
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 6 cups chopped* melon, such as watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew
- 1/3 cup any combination, Thai basil or mint
May also use a melon baller to carve out fruit.
1. To make the dressing, whisk together lime zest and juice, walnut oil, honey, shallot and ginger.
2. Toss melon and herbs with fruit. If time allows, let sit refrigerated for 1-2 hours for flavors to combine.
This recipe was written by Peggy Lampman and originally posted on AnnArbor.com on July 20, 2011.