Recipe: Pasta with Roasted Asparagus, Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Pine Nuts (adapted from Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson)
I make this dish with whole-wheat pasta, but the roasted asparagus, sun-dried tomatoes, and pine nuts would also make a lovely salad topping along with a balsamic vinaigrette dressing.
- 1 pound pasta (fusilli, penne, or rotini work well)
- 1 pound asparagus
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped into 1/4-inch strips
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Boil water for pasta. Trim asparagus bottoms and cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces. Toss asparagus with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast until just tender, 6-8 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, until al dente, according to package directions.
While pasta is cooking, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add the roasted asparagus, sun-dried tomatoes, and salt and pepper to taste. Reduce the heat to low and keep warm.
When pasta is done cooking, drain well and combine with asparagus mixture. Toss well, adding basil and pine nuts. Drizzle with extra olive oil, if desired.
This recipe was adapted by Jodee Jernigan and originally posted on AnnArbor.com on June 11, 2011.